Please be aware that there is very little parking available in the town on Goose Fair day. Therefore, use of the Park and Ride Scheme is recommended.
There will be a clearly signposted one-way system operating around the town, coming into force with road closures from 5:00pm on Tuesday 11th October, lasting throughout Goose Fair day on Wednesday 12th October and ending at 7am on Thursday 13th October.
The following roads will be closed to traffic:
- Plymouth Road from Drake's Statue to Bedford Square
- Abbey Place
- Russell Street
- Chapel Street
- Market Street
- Market Road
- Canal Road
- Gulworthy Slip Road (between B3257 & A390)
As usual, a number of car parks will also be closed during the event.
- Bedford Car Park will be closed from Saturday 8th until 6pm on Sunday 16th October to accommodate fairground rides
- Chapel Street Car Park will be closed from 5pm Tuesday 11th until 8am Thursday 13th October
- Guildhall Car Park will be closed from 4.00pm on Monday 10th until 8am Thursday 13th October
- Riverside Car Park will be closed from 5pm Tuesday 11th until 8am Thursday 13th October (limited space available for permit holders and Goose Fair traders)
- Russell Street Car Park will be closed from 4.30pm Tuesday 11th until 8am Thursday 13th October
- Wharf Car Park will be closed from 5pm Tuesday 11th until 8am Thursday 13th October
Car Parks at Bank Street and Brook Street will be open as usual. Abbey Car Park is reserved for blue badge holders only.
The taxi rank in Bedford Square will be closed.
Temporary taxi ranks will operate near NatWest Bank in Duke Street, outside Newell's Travel in West Street and in the Chapel Street Car Park.
There is limited parking available in the Abbey Car Park (exclusively for disabled parking on Goose Fair Day). This is a pay and display facility.
The Park and Ride Scheme operating from Yelverton, Gulworthy Camping & Holiday Park and Whitchurch Down has some easy-access buses for disabled passengers.
Please contact the Town Council General Manager, Wayne Southall email [email protected] for advice if you are intending to bring in a minibus with a group of disabled passengers.
Coach and car parking is available at Tavistock College: Charges are: £20 per coach/£5 per car. Coach parties can drop their passengers off at Tavistock College on Crowndale Road.
Evening parking (from 5.00pm) is also available at West Devon Borough Council Offices at Kilworthy Park - proceeds to charity.
Goose Fair Park and Ride
A Park and Ride Scheme will be operating from the following sites:
Yelverton Aerodrome - £2.50 per adult/50p per child (under 16 years old)
Gulworthy - The Old Rectory Camping & Holiday Park - £5 per car
Whitchurch Down - £5 per car
Card payments will be accepted at all three sites.
Locations for all three sites can be found on the Park and Ride Site Map.
Park and Ride Bus Timetable:
- Dogs are allowed at the driver's discretion
- Park and Ride prices are for return tickets
- Buses are approximately every 20/30 minutes with the first bus from sites between 8.30am and 9:15am and the last bus back from Tavistock 10.30pm
The Lions Club of Tavistock will be manning the Park and Ride sites. The Park and Ride locations will be identified on the main routes into Tavistock by temporary AA type yellow road signs. Attempts will be made to park vehicles with disabled badges in designated areas as close to bus boarding points as possible. To avoid crowding at bus stops in Tavistock, the Yelverton buses will drop off and pick up outside the DCC Highways yard in Pixon Lane.
Stagecoach buses will be co-ordinating the bus services from Yelverton and Tamar Coaches will be co-ordinating the bus services from Gulworthy and Whitchurch Down, providing frequent shuttle services to strategic points in the Town Centre, from the above mentioned Park and Ride locations. The bus service will operate between 8:30am and 10:30pm depending upon demand. The majority of buses are accessible for wheelchairs and prams.
Please note this is a privately operated facility and blue disabled badges and over 60's free bus passes are not valid.
Be wise, do not attempt to drive into Tavistock on Goose Fair day use the Park and Ride.
Stagecoach Bus Service
Service 1 to Plymouth will leave from Drakes Statue (West Bridge side)
Service 87 to Bere Alston & Bere Ferrers will leave from Drakes Statue (Callington Road side)
Service 89 Town Service to Whitchurch and Courtlands will leave from Drakes Statue (West Bridge side)
Stagecoach will also be running additional departures from Tavistock to Plymouth on Service 1 at 2100hrs and 2300hrs.
Park & Ride Bus Service
Stagecoach - Service 300 (Yelverton) leaves from Pixon Lane