Tavistock Town Council manages and maintains several of the parks and open spaces in the town, the most important being The Meadows.
Read on to find out more about our role in looking after these areas and the services we provide.
The Meadows, located in the centre of the town, is an area of 3.6 hectares on both sides of the River Tavy in the care of the Town Council. The Meadows contains a children's play area, a bandstand and grassy open spaces. It is a focal point for the local community with numerous events held throughout the summer months.
The Sensory Garden is located between the tennis courts and the bowling club. Started in 2016 the garden is a joint initiative between Tavistock Town Council, Tavistock Lions Club, Tavistock Rotary Club, Roots to Transition and Tavistock Dementia Alliance. The garden is open for all to enjoy and there are regular volunteering sessions. The garden is managed by the Tavistock Community Sensory Garden Trust. For the latest updates please visit the Facebook page Tavistock Community Sensory Garden.
The tennis courts, bowling green and BMX track are on land leased from the Town Council and managed by separate organisations, Tavistock Tennis Club, the Tavistock Bowling Club and Tavi Riders.
A large area was leased in June 1987 to West Devon Borough Council for 999 years at a peppercorn rent, and is the location of the Wharf Arts Centre and Meadowlands Swimming Pool complex, with associated car and coach parks.
The 4 mile long canal passes through the park from where it starts at Abbey Weir (finishes at Morwellham Quay). Today the canal belongs to South West Water who operate a hydro-electric power plant at Morwellham Quay. The Cherry Walk that runs alongside the canal was restored in 2018 and contains a mix of flowering cherry and crab apples. The original cherry trees were planted in 1948.
The play park, fitness trail and skate park are all managed by the Town Council as well as the bandstand, benches and picnic tables.
Drake's Trail passes through The Meadows. Drake's Trail is a network of walking and cycling routes linking Tavistock and Plymouth.
Other open spaces
Dolvin Road Cemetery is a closed cemetery in the centre of town, adjacent to the River Tavy. The cemetery was opened in 1834 and closed in 1883, with the opening of the 'New Cemetery' on Plymouth Road. Dolvin Road Cemetery houses some 7,000 persons in a mixture of graves, vaults and unmarked plots, some of which are the last resting place of Tavistock’s elite from the 19th century, including well-known librarian William Merrifield and Theopholis Jones, the architect responsible for many of the Duke of Bedford cottages. Today the cemetery is an important area for wildlife and contains many notable specimen trees, including a large Weeping Beech.
The Town Council owns just over 7 hectares of farmland at Sandy Park that is 'let' on an agricultural tenancy.
The small rectangle of common land in the hamlet of Middlemoor is also owned by the Town Council and is mainly of interest mainly to Budgehill Farm whose access track crosses it.
Tavy Gardens located in Mount Tavy Road is a 'pocket park' offering seating with a view over the River Tavy.
Abbotsfield Grass bank: Opposite Abbotsfield Nursing Home, the Council regularly cuts the grass.
The Town Council owns a small area of woodland on the north side of Abbotsfield House, strangely left out of the sale of the House by the Town Council in 1984.
Celle Gardens in Parkwood Road is owned by Devon County Council and leased to the Town Council. The garden celebrates the links between Tavistock and its twin town of Celle in Germany.
Dolvin Road Plantation: A small area of woodland by the river bank, with a seat.
The Town Council maintains a small garden area either side of the footpath that links West Street with the bus station.
We also own and/or manage several play parks around the town which are regularly inspected and maintained, these are:
- Bannawell Street
- Ransom Way
- The Meadows
For more information on parks and playparks under our care or to report a problem please Contact Us.